The Apparel Designer will work on the conceptualization and design of outdoor apparel, using his/her merchandising and design experience to create tech packs under the direction of the Senior Product Manager.This position may cross over into other product categories as well.Participation in fit sessions and assisting product managers with development efforts are also key duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
•Execute product design process and work cross-functionally with product management to ensure that the team is successfully meeting business needs according to the seasonal timelines.
•Collaborate with the team to create original designs exclusive to our company that achieve sales, performance, brand and quality goals.
•Work to understand markets and trends to identify new products while maintaining brand identity and business strategy.
•Understand material and supply trends, sales performance, and global manufacturing environments.Use this knowledge to advance the performance of our product lines in the marketplace.
•Participate in and perhaps lead initial concept reviews with sales and product development teams to confirm direction and priorities.Present graphic concepts, sketches and designs to internal product teams and management as required.
•Participate in and perhaps lead customer line review meetings.
•Collaborate with Product Development and Sourcing teams to ensure designs will achieve pricing and manufacturing goals.
•Attend fit sessions to collaborate with the team and troubleshoot fit and construction issues that arise.
•Research and identify seasonal color palettes, prints, patterns, fabrics, styles and details.
•Approve strike offs, patterns, trims, and lab dips.
•Attend trade shows to remain current in the market as requested.
The duties listed above are the key duties of the Apparel Designer but are not limited to these duties. The company may expand them as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the company and its sales efforts.
- Four year degree in apparel design; OR comparable work experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in design. Softgoods experience with a leading outdoor manufacturer is preferred but not required
- Proven success in line-building
- Must possess a strong sense of the marketplace
- Must have fashion and color sensibility
- Technical skills: Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Must be detail oriented; no exceptions
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and problem solving ability
- Ideal candidates show a high level of performance. In addition, business experience in purchasing, sales, merchandising, supervision and/or business is desirable but not required
- Experience in product development, including knowledge of fabric, materials and construction, as well as related costs of product components
- Exposure to Asian sourcing
- Team player
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and calendars
- International and domestic travel is required