Country : USA
State : New York
Town : New York
Category : Purchasing
Contract type : Permanent
Availability : Full time
The Buyer will be responsible for managing their specific product division which includes the selection, purchase and delivery of merchandise which adheres to the merchandise philosophy of quality, price, fashion and brand.
- Manages opportunistic buying responsibility (based on vendors or classifications) and accountability for sales and margin performance.
- Manages receipts in terms of balancing assortments and flexing from flow versus packaway.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility in negotiating for packaway goods to offset additional costs of storing merchandise (e.g. additional dating, vendors holding merchandise etc.).
- Provides on-going analysis and interpretation of key business issues. This includes monitoring regional merchandise reports (i.e., Cold & Warm Store Strategies), Open-to-Buy monitoring, stock analysis and other ad hoc analysis.
- Proactively networks with vendors regarding available merchandise and will negotiate directly on purchases. This includes frequent visits to showrooms, selecting product and handling negotiations, either independently or in conjunction with their supervisor.
- Shops all competing and Ross/dd's stores to identify opportunities, trends and labels.
Who you are ...
- You have a minimum of 4 - 6 years retail merchandising buying experience.
- You have extensive vendor negotiation and interaction.
- You have experience with close-out or opportunistic buying preferred.
- You have thorough knowledge of merchandising and technical aspects of merchandising (e.g., fabric, design, silhouettes, etc.).
- You have strong negotiation skills.
- You have strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- You have recent experience in product categories.
- You have the ability to partner and influence vendors/cross-functional partners.
- You have highly effective written and verbal communication skills.
- You have strong retail math skills.
- You have strong PC skills, with an emphasis on spreadsheet applications.