Customs Compliance Specialist
Country : USA
State : New York
Town : New York
Category : Consulting - Audit
Contract type : Permanent
Availability : Full time
Professional Hair Care and World #3 in Color Cosmetics. Our iconic portfolio of more than 77 brands are sold in over 150 countries around the world. We believe in beauty with a purpose and brands that inspire, no matter where they are in the world.
REPORTS TO: I-Trade Leader
LOCATION: NEW YORK, NY - BELCAMP, MD - SANFORD, NC
- Own relationship with the Customs broker, governance, scorecard review, develop tools to measure KPI
- Conduct monthly, quarterly and annual calls with Customs brokers for business and performance review
- Troubleshoot international shipment issues pertaining to US Customs clearance and export procedure
- Vendor referrals resolutions (assistance with problematic import entries - release from entry holds)
- Responsible for getting import authorization for new materials and adding new materials to Tradeflow
- Complete classification requests utilizing the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the US (HTS Codes, FDA or PGA classifications and Schedule B) for all type of materials including Complex SKUs and Sets
- Work closely with cross function teams to provide Customs expertise on current and proposed products to be imported/exported to/from USA and Canada
- Free Trade Agreement management, qualifying, soliciting, updating and maintaining NAFTA and other FTA Master files
- Work on parts Database & MasterData accuracy/audit projects, verify and update information as needed
- Implement reconciliation programs (NAFTA Recon and Value Recon) and manage Tooling Reconciliation
- Perform investigations and analyses in order to respond to US Customs inquiries (e.g. CF 28s) and provide support on Canada and Mexico Customs audits
- Complete classification requests (HTS, FDA, Schedule B, etc.) for products importing into USA/Canada
- Create standard operating procedures, KPIs and organized file system for Canada/USA
- Identify and leverage cost avoidance/ savings opportunities outside Free Trade Agreements (e.g. Duty Drawback and Blanket Adjustments)
- Review all documentation for accuracy and compliance, conduct internal and external post entry audits
- Initiate and run multiple process improvement / Saving projects with IT including EDI set up
- Administer and control all accounting related tasks for the department such as G/L, A/P and A/R including processing the monthly payments to Broker and Customs duties
- Gather, track and analyses US Imports/Exports (e.g. entry data, ISF data, FTA savings and avoidance, etc.)
- Maintain records and ensure records retention is following process guidelines for both imports & exports
The US Customs Compliance Specialist is responsible for ensuring adherence to Coty Import and export policy and compliance with USA import and export regulations. This individual is responsible for oversee and audit all imports to the US and ensure that all shipments are Customs and FDA compliant and must maintain an in-depth knowledge of customs and international trade regulations regarding broad variety of products, equipment, and raw materials. Individual judgment is required regarding legal compliance of transactions with Customs and border protection and other related government agencies (Escalations to management and 3rd party input may be necessary). Errors in judgment can result in significant business disruption, including but not limited to: delay in receipt of goods, significant public relations exposure, potential penalties, and loss or restriction of import privileges.
Skills to be Successful
- Leadership, ownership and Project Management skills (planning, organizing and resource allocation)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to effectively communicate with all levels of organization and government agencies
- Strong analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills, ability to define problems, prioritize, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Organized, detail-oriented, high prioritization skills, operates with discipline, thinks and acts decisively
- Intermediate knowledge of working with MS Excel, ( e.g., Pivot Table and V-Lookup, formulas) and SAP experiences is a plusPosition Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position.
This position requires the ability to work mandatory overtime to meet business needs either within the day and/or the weekend and business operates on multiple shifts.
Duties of job are performed across a combined office and Distribution Center environment. Exposure to distribution center pick centers, assembly line machinery and powered industrial equipment possible.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Sedentary: Requires exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Requires about 6 hours of sitting and no more than 2 hours of standing or walking in an 8-hour workday. No significant stooping is usually required.
Duration & Repetitive Standards
Occasional repetitive activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time equivalent to 2.5 hours of an 8 hour work day or up to 20 minutes each hour.
- BA/BS from an accredited college or university (required) - Education in Customs, International Trade, Supply Chain, is preferred - Certified Customs Specialist (CCS) designation is an asset
- Knowledge of Customs, FDA, valuation, HS classification, General interpretative rules of the Customs Tariff, and international incoterms
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of international freight transportation, including classification, customs entries, COO, import assists, royalties and all other US Customs regulations and requirements.
- Advanced level knowledge of US Customs regulations and requirements (e.g. Title 19 of the Code of Federal Regulations) and the requirements of other government regulatory agencies
- Knowledge of NAFTA and other free trade agreements and be able to solicit and qualify codes for NAFTA and other FTA including (AUS, Peru, CAFTA, Panama, etc.)
- Advanced understanding of Incoterms, modes of shipping, documentation (BOL, PL, IMO, IATA, etc.)
- Experience in dealing with US/Canada Customs, US FDA and NAFTA, including audits (e.g. CF 28s)
- Must understand all freight terms Collect, Prepaid, Third Party Billing and including Incoterms 2020..
- Understanding of IATA & IMDG regulations for international shipping, including packaging & labeling