Director, Merchandise Finance
Country : USA
State : New York
Town : New York
Category : Finance
Contract type : Permanent
Availability : Full time
The Director of Finance will be responsible for delivering timely and accurate forecasts, budgets and analytics to the Merchandising business unit of Ross Stores. The Director of Finance will play a critical role in leading the expansion of value-added analytics and strategic decision support for the merchants and other buying office departments. This position will provide financial leadership to achieve expense targets, which includes developing financial models, analyzing trends, collaborating with budget owners and presenting insights to management. This position will report to the VP of Merchandise Finance and have 1 direct report.
- Lead and supervise multiple FP&A processes including 5 Year planning, annual budgeting, forecasting and reporting across multiple departments in accordance with corporate timelines and policies. Collaborate with business partners on quantifying their strategies. Conduct trend analyses and establish assumptions for all functional area categories. Lead financial reviews and provide transparency to methodology (via creation of effective communication materials). Identify and communicate risks and opportunities to achieve targets
- Lead processes to track and forecast expense spending including: preparation of weekly expense forecast to the Corporate Finance team; monthly accrual and journal entries; budget to actual variance analysis; Board meeting budget explanations
- Lead month end close activities in accordance with corporate timeline and policies. Ensure all accruals, journal entries and variance analyses are accurate and submitted timely. Review supporting documentation for accruals and reclasses for areas of responsibility
- Lead an enhanced management reporting and strategic planning function. Proactively identify mid-month, month/quarter/year-end performance trends. Design frameworks and project plans to support reporting scope and timelines. Supervise existing reporting processes to ensure all reports are issued accurately and timely
- Independently design and execute complex ad hoc analysis; gather necessary data; summarize insights; create clear written communication documents to present findings to senior and executive leadership.
- Recruit, coach and develop a high performing team to maximize performance and value addition to the company while maintaining high morale. Drive standardization of finance activities and scalable routines, including development of training guides and work step instructions. Provide backup coverage as needed
- Analysis and Judgement
- Developing Direct Reports
- Business Acumen
- Building Effective Teams
- Planning and Organization
- Drive for Results
- Interpersonal Skills
- Process Management
- Integrity and Trust
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor's degree required with demonstrated superior college performance (preferably in an analytical field). CPA or MBA preferred
- Must have minimum of 7 years post-college experience with demonstrated success at increasing levels of responsibility in analytical roles. Top-tier consulting firm (operations or strategy) or retail experience preferred
- Strong familiarity with core financial planning and analysis processes including budgeting, forecasting and financial control process design. Must possess a clear understanding of basic financial, statistical and economic concepts
- Outstanding analytical ability - deal with ambiguity, synthesize complex data, draw business insights and error check own work. Must have a data driven approach to solving problems. Requires very strong quantitative skills, a good sense of how to dissect problems and a strong ability to "connect the dots" - e.g. understand how pieces of data interact with each other or how one finding should inform the result of another analysis
- Track record of successful team development - managing a team to high levels of performance and developing team members for growth and advancement
- Excellent communication skills - must be able to clearly communicate results and analysis implications in both verbal and written (PowerPoint) forms
- Strong organizational skills and project management skills- must have demonstrated ability to implement and manage strong control and reporting processes; must be able to drive a project from inception to implementation within tight timelines
- A detail oriented approach - must pay very close attention to the details and have the drive to get things right
- Customer service mindset - must be able to build effective working relationships with internal "clients" around the company
- Strong fundamental business technical skills - must be Excel and PowerPoint proficient and have an ability to learn new software applications (i.e. Ariba, Hyperion & Peoplesoft Financial Systems)
- Must be trustworthy with confidential information
Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working with paper/files, etc.
Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Senior Financial Analyst
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management's discretion.
Ross is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of the Company's overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce. Ross is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry, physical, mental or developmental disability, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), veteran status, military status, marital or registered domestic partnership status, medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by federal, state or local laws.