l'Oreal Research & Innovation - Director, Business Development Scouting
L'Oreal Research & InnovationBusiness Development ScoutingClark, New JerseyKey Mission:
- Functional leader in the L’Oreal Americas, Research and Innovation (R&I) Business Development (BD) organization that will Identify, analyze, and prioritize open (external) innovation targets, from small and large companies, academic institutions, venture firms, etc., to support L’Oréal’s growth and innovation objectives.
- Link targets to corporate objectives (collaboration, investment, licensing, etc.), strategy, and vision and ensure cross-functional alignment. Serve as a key interface between L'Oréal and the open (external) innovation community upon initial contact and during due diligence.
- Analyze and conduct (scientific/technical) due diligence of potential open (external) innovation targets to precisely ensure the details of what is being pursued and ensure cross functional feedback and alignment.Job Guideline:1. Search & Evaluate:
- Identify, analyze, classify and segment targets (Opportunities)
- Manages due diligence life cycle in accordance with approval milestones.
- Tracks open items and drives their closure.
- Identifies, prioritizes and synthesizes information about targets based on given criteria.
- Clearly articulates deal rationale including customer value proposition, technology and culture.
- Prepare and initiate contact with target. Summarizes fact based background research and analysis, and aggregates data to recommend a contact strategy (who, timing, medium, method).
- Anticipates contact scenarios and prepares planned responses, making adjustments as required.
- Maintains external relationships and focuses on market conditions to ensure our ability to pursue the target.2. Due Diligence:
- Assembles publicly available information about investments including the structure, mission, vision, strategy, etc. and leverages this to drive the due diligence process with internal and external stakeholders.
- Determines influencing factors early in the deal cycle to plan scope, and assumes accountability for full/parts of the process.
- Directs due diligence team to ensure travel, meetings and report-outs are coordinated and timely.
- Addresses ad hoc and delegated tasks and ensures full completion.
- Pursues “Know Your Business” philosophy and dives deep into detail to understand how and where the business operates. Communicates key findings to internal stakeholders to drive due diligence process forward effectively.
- Verifies accuracy of factual data received from target. elevating due diligence issues with counterparty to confirm classification and define resolution.
- Builds relationships with counterparties to efficiently obtain relevant information and subsequently define deal milestones.Qualification Required:
- 5-10 years of relevant experience managing the technical and scientific evaluation of Business Development projects in a Research & Development/Innovation setting.
- Sound scientific knowledge and legitimacy from an academic and professional standpoint, with demonstrable mastery over how scientific innovation flows, ideally in a Beauty and/or Consumer products setting.
- Strong communication, analytical, and negotiation skills, relevant to the field of Business Development in an Innovation setting (particularly in beauty and cosmetics), coupled with strategic awareness of products, consumers, customers, and channels.
- Experience working with international clients opportunities highly preferred.
- Team Player, works well both independently and with teams, with demonstrated project management and leadership skills to lead/manage cross-functional teams in evaluating partnering opportunities and producing high quality assessments of scientific concepts.
- Self-Starter and dependable.
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration, and presentation skills.
- PhD in relevant scientific field preferred. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email USApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.