Country : USA
State : New York
County : Suffolk County
Town : Melville
Category : Production - Quality
Contract type : Permanent
Availability : Full time
Key activities for this position include managing a team of Supervisors and hourly employees to effectively execute the production schedule in a cost-effective manner, drive continuous improvement projects, promote employee engagement, resolve employee issues and create a team-based, problem-solving culture.
The Production Manager collaborates with key production support personnel to ensure adherence to all safety and quality requirements.
The 1st shift Production Manager deputizes for the Operations Director and leads the entire team when the Ops Director is on leave. The 1st shift Production Manager also takes on assigned Project Management duties (e.g. liaising with cross-functional teams for NPL, representing Melville Ops to Senior Supply Chain and Business/Functional leaders, leading the production elements of projects related to safety, quality, productivity and cost initiatives).
Efficiency Goals and Problem Solving (50%)
Key Goal: Lead production operation to ensure the department achieves all KPI goals.
- Drive team to meet Key Performance Indicator (KPI) goals as part of the Operations Balanced Scorecard in the areas of Safety, Quality, Service, Cost and Morale.
- Schedule all workload requirements by working closely with internal customer groups to maintain high customer service levels.
- Ensure necessary resources are optimized to meet operational goals and objectives (headcount, equipment, etc.).
- Maintain proper spending as outlined in departmental budgets.
- Evaluate the current and future needs of the business and utilize Lean Thinking to meet those needs.
- Lead projects and coordinate cross-functional groups.
- Utilize effective problem-solving techniques to drive improvement and deliver sustainable results.
- Take on special projects as needed.
- Perform all other duties as assigned which may become necessary to support departmental/organizational objectives. Leadership and Communication (30%)
Key goal: Drive results through effective communication, collaboration, leadership, and accountability.
- Develop front-line management team in areas of technical job skills, employee relations, and continuous improvement.
- Develop talent to full potential through expectation setting, consistent feedback, constructive criticism, and coaching.
- Effectively communicate all necessary information regarding policies, procedures, processes and performance.
- Assist the facilitation of team meetings and forums to share information and best practices.
- Complete both formal and informal evaluation of employee performance, make recommendations for improvement, and apply the corrective action process (as required). Continuous Improvement Goals (20%)
Key goal: Use LEAN tools to drive improvements within the Operations Team.
- Strong use of Continuous Improvement methodologies. Support efforts to meet or exceed our Safety, Quality, Service, Cost and Morale performance expectations.
- Embrace change and drive departmental strategy, innovation and continuous improvement.
- Engage the team and lead the implementation of Continuous Improvement projects utilizing Lean Six Sigma principles (Standard Operations, Flow, Pull, Problem Solving, Variation Reduction, 5S, etc.). Environmental Health and Safety Goals (At All Times)
Key goal: Eliminate occurrences of and potential for accidents. Mentor exempt and non-exempt personnel to support this goal. Ensure our environmental goals are being met.
- Support all Behavior Based Safety (BBS) teams and projects.
- Monitor and ensure a safe work environment through process adherence and hazard elimination/mitigation (PPE, Lockout/Tag-out, Machine Guarding, etc.).
- Proactively identify and resolve safety and ergonomic concerns within Production.
- Actively mentor employees to utilize proper ergonomic related equipment. Produce High Quality Finished Goods (At All Times)
Key goal: Produce products that meet all quality expectations and eliminate rejections.
- Monitor and ensure compliance to current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), including Good Documentation Practices (GDP), and adherence to defined product quality policies and procedures to meet regulations. Direction Given:
Executive Director, Operations
Key Performance Indicators (KPI):
TIR / Accident rate
Rejection rate (Quality Notifications)
Schedule Attainment & Adherence
Material Usage Variance
Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
- Must demonstrate a desire and ability to lead other people in a team-based manufacturing environment and make decisions with minimal supervision
- Solid People Management Skills - delegating, coaching and motivating
- Strong leadership skills with ability to use good judgment to resolve conflict
- Ability to effectively communicate vision, strategy and key objectives
- Act as a positive change agent and demonstrate strong change management skills
- Must possess a strong use of continuous improvement methodologies to meet or exceed Safety, Quality, Schedule and Cost performance expectations
- Must be able to effectively apply root cause analysis techniques to solve problems
- Demonstrate end-to-end "value stream" leadership
- Metrics driven, results oriented and self-motivated
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word); Proficient in SAP
- Experience with implementing Lean/Six Sigma principles a plus
- Minimum five (5) years manufacturing experience including two (2) years in a supervisory role
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent job-related experience
- 5% Travel
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. It is Company's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances. The Company will endeavor to provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with the law to otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability and to employees and prospective employees with needs related to their religious observance or practices. Should you wish to apply for this position or any other position with the Company and you believe you require assistance to complete an application or participate in an interview, please contact USApplicantAccommodations@Estee.com.