Senior Director, Accounting & Reporting
Country : USA
State : Texas
County : Collin County
Town : Plano
Category : Finance
Contract type : Permanent
Availability : Full time
Working at JCPenney means joining a dedicated team of associates who are encouraged to be uniquely themselves in a safe, caring and welcoming environment. It is a place where careers prosper, accomplishments are celebrated and diversity flourishes. It’s a place that’s meant for you.
The Sr Director, Accounting and Reporting reports to the Senior Vice President & Controller and is directly responsible for accounting oversight, technical accounting research/consultation, external financial reporting, and internal controls over financial reporting. This role supports the Company from a technical accounting perspective, interacts with the Company's external auditors, interacts with the Company's audit committee, and executes the Company's Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) program for disclosure controls and internal controls over financial reporting. They will interact with JCPenney associates across the finance organization, as well as other associates across the business. The Sr Director is a vital role on the Controller's team and is a key role within the broader finance organization.
- Serves as the primary contact for all technical accounting matters; researches technical accounting issues; provides guidance throughout the organization with respect to technical accounting questions. Monitors activity by the FASB.
- Primary responsibility for the preparation and supervision of the Company's periodic reports to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC); monitors financial reporting updates/guidance from the SEC; stays current on SEC reporting trends.
- Serves as a member of the Company's Disclosure Committee.
- Manages the Company's SOX program; continually updates and improves the Company's internal controls over financial reporting; works with external auditors and internal audit to assess and remediate any control deficiencies.
- Supervises preparation of monthly financial statements, including consolidation.
- Participates in the monthly close process and supervises various corporate level accounting processes, including benefits accounting and corporate level accounting accruals; interacts regularly with the Company's accounting service center in Salt Lake City.
- Supervises all lease accounting matters and serves as the Company's primary lease accounting expert.
- Hires and develops accounting associates to maintain a high performing team, with upward mobility and appropriate succession planning.
- Embraces the JCPenney culture.
- Leads various ad hoc project teams, as needed, that will have substantial impact on the Company.
- Maintains a presence in the financial community through participation in professional organizations.
- CPA certificate is required.
- Minimum 10-15 years of relevant experience
- Minimum 5 - 7 years experience with independent public accounting firm or related experience in public company.
- Demonstrated ability to work across different areas of the business, develop others, and lead teams.
- Core competencies include: Accounting, leadership, building relationships, and communication.