sr. Manager, Carrier Strategy
Country : USA
State : Ohio
County : Franklin County
Town : Columbus
Category : Production - Quality
Contract type : Permanent
Availability : Full time
The mission of objective of the Senior Manager, Carrier Strategy is to build, develop and maintain a linehaul & LTL carrier base that executes freight movement in support of production and both the stores and digital demand channels. The position will own both strategic and execution relationships with all providers, ensuring that capacity commitments and service expectations are met. The individual will be an expert in the transportation space and will leverage this knowledge along with relationships to develop and implement a strategic carrier plan that will comprise a blend of incumbents and new providers to meet the short and long-term needs of the business. The position will be required to drive alignment internally across multiple functions and partner externally with carriers to deliver initiatives in support of improving cost, service and capacity.
- Owns the carrier relationships ($200M+ spend) to determine strategic alignment opportunities versus transactional lane execution relationships; resulting in a highly effective network balanced on attractiveness to carriers for lower expenses and enhanced speed and service offerings in our network.
- Monitors the execution of freight movements and works with the team on carrier performance improvement or replacing carriers when they cannot meet our requirements
- Connects across Vendors, Supply Chain Planning, Production, DC / Shipping Operations, and Delivery Agent network to ensure carrier capacity and service meets the needs of each node of the supply chain
- Owns end-to-end visibility of flow of freight, including all processes and technology that enable and deliver visibility to all parties
- Operational use and execution of Manhattan TP&E, EEM, Cognos SCI, and EDI communications, as well as vendor compliance of systemic requirements a responsibility of this associate.
- Executes via the Manhattan TP system, the annual RFP to include capacity needs, rate refreshes, new network concept explorations, and carrier base decisions. Together with leaders, makes award decisions with balance of budgetary goals and business needs in mind.
- Develops and communicates transportation procurement, planning, execution, visibility and analytic business requirements to internal and external technology partners; aligns on plan with these same partners to ensure the needs of the team are met.
- Accountability of rate negotiations and contract administration, including the vetting of potential carriers to add to the network.
- Assures temperature control capacity is sufficient within the network to provide temp protection to our growing candle business.
- Works collaboratively with Finance and Freight Accounting partners to align on budget expectations seasonally, checks actual spend against budget to measure network performance, measures impact of off-cycle rate increase requests against budget, and ensures timely payment to service providers and leads resolution of carrier payment discrepancies or claims, as needs arise.
- Leadership of a team which manages 55+ carrier relationships and ~100K shipments annually. Leveraging relationships to assure capacity is abundantly available at contracted, market-competitive rates.
- Works to maintain network performance expectations of 98% or better.
- Works effectively to maintain carrier relationships and stay in-tune to new service offerings / capabilities of service providers that may enable speed and agility in the network.
- Lead strategic projects and processes for logistics
- Represent logistics in managing the strategic aspects of large, complex, and cross functional projects.
- Maintain professional business relationships with service providers, especially at the senior level. Leverage relationships for long-term results.
- Provides industry insights to with leadership across multiple functions. Anticipate potential negative industry influences and outline / quantify contingency strategy.
- Raise organization competency through training, development, and project assignments.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in management of domestic transportation and distribution functions
- Ability to create a vision for the department and execute based on needs of the end-to-end supply chain
- Experience configuring and using transportation procurement, planning, execution and visibility software such as Manhattan
- Strong transportation analytical skills and experience using business intelligence applications such as Cognos and Business Objects; SQL skills preferred but not required
- Experience negotiating carrier rates and contracts
- Ability to welcome and encourage change on a regular basis in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of specialty retail environment and the logistics challenges
- End to end knowledge of supply chain operations and systems
- Effectively communicate relevant information to all levels of the organization
- Experience in direct management of associates in a dynamic environment
- Understanding of supply chain concepts and solutions
- Demonstrated interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Continued education relative to industry trends and challenges
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Mature, highly motivated, and open working style that stimulates a sense of teamwork and produces results
- Ability to multitask easily with a strong sense of urgency
- Ability to delegate both responsibility and authority
- Ability to travel 10% of the year
An equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment because of an individual's race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status or any other protected category recognized by state, federal or local laws. We only hires individuals authorized for employment in the United States.